First Presbyterian Church is an inviting, inclusive church, welcoming all who enter its doors to join in worship and sacraments, whether they are visitors, newcomers looking for a church home, or someone looking for a place to rest for the moment. All are invited to join fellow worshipers in their Christian journey, no matter where they are in that journey.
Worship through quality teaching and beautiful music are essential elements of worship at FPC. The adult choir, accompanied by a pipe organ, an accomplished organist, and pianist, lead services in a spiritually meaningful way.
The Christian journey is nurtured from birth and continued in programs designed to teach and foster Christian maturity. From Sunday school classes to Bible study for children, teenagers, and adults, people fellowship as they learn, encouraged to walk in Jesus’ footsteps. Because Jesus taught the world to love thy neighbors wherever they are, mission work begins with three year olds and continues through mature adulthood with study and participation in local, national, and international missions
First Presbyterian Church of Bainbridge was chartered in 1852 by the Presbytery of Florida. Five of the twelve petitioners were already members of the Quincy Florida church so they became the official founding members. A handsome building with an organ and gallery on three sides was completed in 1854 on the corner of Troupe and West streets. It burned in 1874 along with most of the business district. The Communion service along with the pulpit Bible and Session minute book were saved. The second building was erected in 1877 on the northwest corner of Broad and Evans streets.
Construction of the current building was begun in 1899, and the building was dedicated in 1910. Important architectural features include a soaring vaulted ceiling and beautiful stained-glass windows. A Sunday School room (now additional sanctuary seating) was added in 1920. Douglas Hall (additional classrooms) and Ward Fellowship Hall were constructed in the 1950s and are named for former pastors. The Climax Presbyterian Church merged with the Bainbridge church in 1970. A complete renovation of the sanctuary and Ward Fellowship Hall was undertaken in 2000 and completed in 2003.
Today the church is a member of the Flint River Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church (USA). The church is best known in the community for its relevant but historically reformed approach to worship and its superb choral music.